Cooper and Andi Beth

Cooper and Andi Beth

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Wednesday on the Farm

Early this week while we were experiencing the wonderful January thaw, I decided I needed to move a few cows around. So I decided I would do it Wednesday morning. I discussed with the guys, decided to add a few more things to my project and planned to get an early start Wednesday morning. 

Well....... The early start didn't happen. I was supposed to trap the cows before i left to take Cooper to speech, but for some reason I didn't make it out before we had to leave. 

After we got home from speech, I needed to make a few phone calls, so by the time I got to the cows it was mid morning. They cows were also pretty scattered, so it took a bit to get them all penned. 

Most of cows are trained pretty well. Usually all I have to do is tie a feed trough to the back of the 4-wheeler and pour some feed in it and drive around. The cows will start following. 







Most of the cows did just that. They followed me right in to the trap. However there were a few holdouts. There always is. Plus baby calves are just pretty uncooperative. 

So, it took two try's to get everyone in the trap. Well almost everyone. The were a couple of young calves that refused. Also I figured out later a big calf and a cow I needed didn't make it in the trap. Hubby came to the rescue when he got home from work. He is the best. 

Then only about half of the cows would fit in the lot at a time. It went like this, pack the lot with cows and calves. Sort out the ones I need, turn out the ones I didn't need, put the rest on the lot, sort, and finally get the rest of the baby calves in the lot. The lot was really muddy. So this was a slow process. 



I kept all (most) of the calves in the pen to give them some shots. I also sorted some cows to take to another pasture. As well as kept some cows to artificially inseminate.  

At one time I had cow in every pen in the lot. I finally got all them together in one place




I vaccinated all the calves. I weaned some calves that their momas were looking a little thin. 

I finally finished (mostly) around 8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment